Director of Engineering
Reports to President
This position will manage the growth of CVM’s 30-year custom machine building pillar by utilizing an experienced team and proven processes. This position requires team leadership, relationship management, project management, mechanical and machine aptitude, and directing the creative process with our world-class customer base.
- Manage the lifecycle of manufacturing automation equipment, including scope development, conceptualizing, prototyping, fabrication, and commissioning.
- Lead the engineering team by example with a high level of technical and interpersonal competence.
- Accountability for department goals; P&L, revenue targets, training programs, process control, personnel management, lean manufacturing initiatives, business development and marketing support as required.
- Build trust with non-technical to highly technical customers alike to set winning expectations; Listen to understand their unique challenges, ideate to resolve concerns and risk, develop creative solutions that meet their needs, and deliver in budget, on schedule, and in scope.
- Maintain existing and cultivate new customer, vendor, and partner relationships to benefit CVM and our clients.
- Assess team requirements, staffing key areas as appropriate to accommodate growth trajectory and company vision.
- Research and stay current with core technologies and the latest trends in automation.
- Ensure deliverables maintain safe machine design standards and meet customer regulatory compliance requirements.
- Direct the installation and training of manufactured equipment into customer locations including plant, R&D, and production facilities.
- Maintain the success of the engineering processes and structures including a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Manage the project estimating, project management, team priorities, team and project performance metrics including job cost and scope expansion.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Hands on, practical engineering and problem-solving experience with a variety of commercial and/or industrial automation projects for external customers.
- Gravitates to early prototyping; actively manages risk through iterative ideation with customers, creation, and testing.
- Ability to focus team and external resources on relevant priorities to efficiently execute for our customers.
- Experience leading technical teams of 3-6 in a small company environment. Leads by example with confidence and humility.
- Ability to inspire and motivate personnel while maintaining accountability, company objectives, and customer expectations.
- Working knowledge in a T&M cost-structured environment. Experience estimating, tracking to a budget, and managing scope change.
- Effective, empathetic communicator with audiences of all skill levels. Drives clarity of expectations with customers, vendors, and colleagues.
- Creative problem solver and comfortable managing measured risk.
- Competitive salary
- 9-80 Work Schedule (Every other Friday off),
- Medical & dental insurance for employee
- 10 days paid vacation
- 8 paid holidays
- Incredible flexibility and respect for balancing life with work
CVM Core Values
- HUMILITY – Be Humble, check your ego at the door
- EMPATHY – We’re great listeners
- RAPID – Simplify, prototype, test and repeat. Succeed faster.
- ETHICS – Do the right thing
CVM Inc is a family-owned custom machine designer, builder, and technical partner for a variety of Bay Area industries. Located at the 580/680 interchange in Pleasanton, CA, CVM has been providing turnkey automation solutions for 30 years. Our customers span all industries including medical device, food processing, agriculture, injection molding, construction, automotive, packaging, chemical processing, and commercial products. From our15,000 sqft building we operate a full-service enterprise with engineering, machining & sheetmetal fabrication, welding, and assembly under one roof. We build what we design and are proud of the success that is possible by our people, processes, and executing by our core values – Humility, Empathy, Rapidly, and Do the Right Thing.
Key words: mechatronics, automation, prototype, R&D, pilot run, sheetmetal, sheet metal, welding, fabrication, automation, robot, PLC, Allen Bradley, Fanuc, Kawasaki, Epson, Universal Robot, UR, OB7, Productive Robotics, packaging, cherry firmness, blueberry firmness, saturator, FRP, engineering services, Solidworks CAD, AutoCAD, titanium welding, exotic metals, bottling line, filler, capper, test and measurement, automation cell, consultant, integrator, A-B, Keyence, Cognex, pneumatic, electromechanical, automation direct, sensors, motion control, modification, high-speed manufacturing.